The Paddock Tavern was built in 1947 and owned and operated by Bob ‘Buck’ Ross and John Hefeneider. The Paddock’s name originated because Bob Ross owned two horses, Barney and Bourbon, and they were stabled behind the tavern. The tavern also had outdoor horseshoe pits for patrons.
There have been various other owners over the years including Wayne Johnson, Gary Olson, Bob Olson, Cheryl and Don McCabe. Wayne Johnson was the owner in 1964 when Albertsons purchased the property it was originally on and the tavern was moved to it’s current location. Gary Olson was the owner (The Pad) when Steve Prefontaine bartended and made the cozy South Eugene watering hole a respite from the trials of competitive Track & Field.
Current owner, and Junction City High School Alumni, LaMonte Cherrick purchased “The Old Pad” in Nov of 2005 from Cheryl and Don McCabe and continued under that name until the 50th anniversary of it’s current location in 2014 and renamed it back to the original The Paddock. In November and December of 2018 The Paddock underwent a complete restoration to repair failing infrastructure and return it to it’s humble roots regarding the décor with an open floor plan and many reclaimed elements from the local area.
Call us to book a table for any occasion. We accept reservations for up to 20 people.